Sojourner Truth

This song doesn’t perfectly align with the message of the reading, but I thought enough lines stood out as connections that I could use it. For example, the lyrics talk about everybody wanting to be part of something and how the truth hurts. It also talks about how the girl the singer is referring to isn’t crazy, just a little misunderstood.

Going off of the “crazy” part of the song, there’s a line in the text that it reminded me of.

“‘Don’t let her speak, Mrs. Gage, it will ruin us. Every newsletter in the land will have our cause mixed up with abolition and niggers, and we shall be utterly denounced.’ My only answer was, ‘We shall see when the time comes,'” (2457).

I think it’s idealistic that Frances D. Gage said that in response to Mrs. Gage because he appeared to be so open with letting Sojourner Truth speak right off the bat. But of course, it didn’t surprise me that Mrs. Gage talked about how letting her speak would “ruin” them all because God forbid somebody makes a statement that touches on race and gender equality at the same time. Truth is there because it’s a woman’s rights movement, and yet people are concerned about her mixing her abolitionist words in there as well, which is ironic considering the woman’s rights movement was already looked down upon by many people. Then Gage gives Truth this difficult-to-read dialect in hopes to make it sound authentic perhaps? I’m not sure why he did it, but I found it to take away from the piece almost.

Despite the dialect, I thought one of Truth’s arguments was particularly strong.

“‘Whar did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothin’ to do wid Him.’ Oh, what a rebuke that was to that little man,” (2458).

I thought it was interesting how Truth brought her argument back to the basics that many people in society then believed in. She takes it to religion, but makes a good point. Often times feminists are critical of the Bible because of the way women are depicted, but recently there have been feminists who will also argue the opposite, pointing out the moment in the Bible where women have an important role, and here Truth does exactly that. And once again, as with some of the other texts we’ve read, there is this reoccurring theme of pointing out the hypocrisy in religion.

People read the Bible and call themselves Christian, yet they cannot even face the basic fact that women should have the same rights as men. If all of those people who claimed they were Christian actually acted in accordance with the teachings of Christianity, speakers wouldn’t have to point this out over and over again. But we see it continue to be an issue in society, and those fighting for equality are quick to point it out. I always find these arguments to come off strong, especially because they are relatable for a lot of people.